IT support portal

The project

A major technology provider wanted to create a powerful set of web resources for IT professionals using their products. They asked Cooper to quickly prepare a high-level overview of how a more sophisticated web site might work.

The solution

I designed a system which enabled the vendor to proactively match IT professionals with information relevant to them. The system captured and remembered information about the IT users' technical environments, and allowed those users to also explicitly identify what technology projects they were undertaking.



The system organized information relevant to ongoing projects in terms of helping the users weigh their options, providing decision support in the form of technical information in progressive levels of detail.



What's cool

Because I thought in terms of applications rather than “web design,” I was able to give this client a much more powerfully data-aware design than they first imagined. Though this kind of information and service portal is hardly remarkable now, I did this work in early 1999.